Quote

I failed again and again and again and that's why I am successful. - Michael Jordan

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Learning the Hard Way

This time last year I dealt with swollen feet and hands on a regular basis. It had been going on for a while, and I had a suspicion that it may have been related to my Dr. Pepper consumption. I just didn't want to give it up, though. I think there were more food items that contributed to the problems I having. I knew something had to change, but I didn't know how to start.
In January, I started participating in self reliance classes through the Church. Chad and I decided that we would stop going out to eat and work on paying our debt with the money we would have spent in drive-thrus. I started feeling better fairly quickly. When we would cave and buy fast food, I would be sicker than I had been prior to trying to give it up. I still get fast food, and I deal with the consequences. I have, however, figured out that what I can eat at what restaurants that won't make me as sick.
Today, for the first time in months, my hands and feet swelled up to the point that it hurt to walk for a little while. What had changed? I have had a lot of salt and soda over the last few days.
I am in the process of learning what does and does not make me feel well. One of these days my diet will be to the point that I will feel as good as I can. I don't think I can ever completely give up fast food or soda, but I can have it less.

No comments:

Post a Comment