Quote

I failed again and again and again and that's why I am successful. - Michael Jordan

Saturday, December 2, 2023

ColderBolder

 

Today, Chad and I ran the ColderBolder. It is an annual 5K that we have ran every year since 2018 (2020 was a virtual race). This year was probably the coldest one we have done. I was so scared of getting cold to the point that it took a long time to warm up, so I wore a long sleeve running shirt, a warm riding jacket that was Chad's dads, mittens and a cowl I knitted, the ColderBolder hat for this year, and a fleece lined jacket that I bought after we picked up our packets. I didn't get too cold. I actually ended up tying the the hoodie around my waist and putting the mittens in my pockets within the first mile and considered taking of the cowl in the third mile. 

Overall, this race gave me the increased confidence that I need. Chad left me behind at the beginning, so I was on my own for the entire race. I didn't know he had planned to leave me behind because we have always mostly walked this race together, so I didn't bring anything to listen to. For the most part, that didn't bother me too much. At about the midpoint I wished I had something to distract me though because the right side of my body was hurting from right under my ribs up through my shoulder. I was not a fan, but I know I could have worked past it with proper breathing like I have in the past if I had something to distract me from the pain a bit. For the fist two miles of the race, I ran every time there was a downhill. I was going to do 30 second walk/run intervals, but the hills in the fist mile are difficult because it is in Boulder, CO, and I live further a way from the mountains. Once I got past mile two, I ran and walk when my body said it was ready. It felt good. I know this is not the way most people do it, but it is what was working for me. In the end, I was glad I did it alone to show me what I can do when I put my mind to it and pay an entry fee. (Let's be real right now. I would not have gone out in that cold if I hadn't already paid to do so.)

My next goal is to PR in the BolderBoulder next year. If I get out consistently now, even when it is cold, I might have a chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment